Thursday, 20 November 2014

The BEST (and fluffiest) American-style pancake recipe ever (well...from the recipes I've tried anyway)

Does this not look gorgeous?
I have always been a fan of these type of pancakes as opposed to Britishy pancakes which are pretty much the French crepe's sister. And on a weekend when I actually have time for breakfast I make these and they taste and feel a lot more comforting and indulgent, although I do munch on the 'British' ones sometimes - depends on my mood. My love for these type of pancakes led to a quest (pretty much) in search of the perfect recipe. I found it quite a while ago and I've only ever used that recipe since. I rather cleverly just took a picture of the recipe, so I don't have a link for you guys to click on, but I guess this post can be your link. Right let's get to the actual recipe then -
 
 
Ingredients:                                                                                                                        
  • 3/4 cup milk (whole is best, but you can use semi skimmed if you like)
  • 2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
  • 1 cup plain flour
  • 2 tbsp. caster sugar
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. bicarbonate of soda
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 egg
  • 2 tbsp. melted butter
  • cooking oil spray or a little flavourless oil to stop sticking
Instructions:
  1. Combine the milk with the lemon juice in a bowl and set aside for five minutes to 'sour' (The milk will look like it has split, this is fine - you are creating a buttermilk effect)
  2. Combine flour, sugar baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt in a large mixing bowl. Whisk egg into the 'soured' milk and pour this into the dry flour mixture. Whisk everything together until there are no lumps and then mix in the melted butter.
  3. Heat a large frying pan over a medium heat and coat with cooking spray or a little oil. Pour 1/4 cupfuls of batter into the pan and cook until you see bubbles appearing on the surface. Flip with a spatula and cook until golden on the other side.
I like these with lots of fresh fruit and a generous spoonful of nutella, but you guys can dress these however you like. I have an AMAZING crepe/normal pancake recipe that I got from my French teacher a few years ago, so if any of you are interested in that please let me know down below.
 
Enjoy :)
Asiyalulu x
 




2 comments :

  1. Your title made me laugh and your photo made me hungry! I went through a phase of not really making pancakes and now I absolutely love it. There's just something about starting your day off with some pancakes and fruit, I don't know what it is but it just feels like perfection. I'll have to try out this recipe, I'm interested in seeing your other one! x Jenn

    www.augustweekend.com | Every looks tells a story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I'm super glad you liked this post. Please feel MORE THAN free to try these out, they are the bomb. I will be posting the crepe/whatever you call 'British' pancakes recipe hopefully soon. I've been SO out of my blogging routine with mock exams coming up :'( . Thank you for commenting, I really do appreciate when someone does xx Asiya

      Delete